Witchbane’s How to Grow Plants (like a Boss)
Here’s a quick and easy tutorial for growing new plants from clippings! It’s not as hard as you might think…
This tutorial works best for herbs & plants that grow like bushes- it doesn’t work for all herbs but what’s the harm in trying?
Step One: Materials
- A small jar (I used a jam jar)
- A mature plant (one that’s been in a stable planting environment for most of a season) - I’m using Rosemary
- Water (not shown)
Step Two: Cutting!
- When you cut bunches off with your scissors make sure that you’re cutting close (but not on) the main stem of the plant.
- Give your cuts an a-cuuuuute angle so that it’s easier for them to drink water without their mamma plant
- You also might wanna make sure they have a few friends to keep them company c:
Step Three: Honey
- Dip the tips of all the plants in the honey- it’s like using growth hormones but natural & your new baby plants will love you for it
Step Four: Rooting
- Time to go swimming! Just kidding- your plants don’t know how to swim. Yet. So make sure that when you do place them in a jar of water you fill it up so that the roots are the only thing submerged.
Step Five: Place in a Sunny Spot
- The last little thing? Simple! Just place your little babies in a window so that they have plenty of light & wait a few weeks (+) when their roots are an inch or so, before planting.
- Make sure that you change the water about once a week or so, that way your plants are less likely to get sick from bad water.
That’s it! Simple right?
Hope this helps anyone who might have been curious about growing herbs- I’ll try to post an update on my current baby plant here in a few weeks (I hope he survives- I took forever with the photos). Feel free to ask if you have questions.